Joining me today is someone who I consider to be a modern-day renaissance man. Calvin Sun is an Asian-American ER doctor, entrepreneur and world traveller living in New York City. Calvin is also the founder of the Monsoon Diaries, a travel blog and “tour company for people who hate group tours.” He shares his thoughts and experiences on travelling to countries typically thought to be “dangerous,” how his blog post on a famous North Korean hotel caused controversy and went viral, as well as the one country you must visit in your lifetime.
Thanks for tuning in and enjoy the show!
On this episode we covered:
- Why travelling to “dangerous” countries is actually safer than living in a city like NYC
- Why you should visit “unstable” countries first
- Why he’s the “worst tour guide in the world”
- The value of an authentic travel adventure
- What it was like to visit North Korea
- What it was like to stay at the famous Yanggakdo Hotel in Pyongyang
- How he discovered the “secret” 5th floor of the Yanggakdo Hotel
- How his blog article went viral and attracted controversy
- How he dealt with a medical crisis 50,000 at feet in the air
- The one country in the world everyone must visit in their lifetime
- Why three weeks is the minimum amount of time to explore this country
- And much more!
“Creepy North Korea: The Hidden 5th Floor” (Monsoon Diaries)
“The Untold Story of Otto Warmbier, American Hostage” (GQ)
Where to find Calvin:
Follow Gary on IG: https://www.instagram.com/viajeroclub/
Join the Facebook Community : https://www.facebook.com/groups/407928276427355
If you enjoyed this episode, please don’t forget to hit Subscribe and leave us a review!