Joining me today is someone who I consider to be a modern-day renaissance man. Calvin Sun is an Asian-American ER doctor, entrepreneur and world traveller living in New York City. Calvin is also the founder of the Monsoon Diaries, a travel blog and “tour company for people who hate group tours.” He shares his advice on how to maximize your time and money for travel, why you should travel as widely as possible while you’re young and how group travel can transform even for the most die-hard solo travellers.
Thanks for tuning in and enjoy the show!
On this episode we covered:
- His experiences of growing up in New York City
- His literal and metaphorical travels in the journey to become a doctor
- How his travels began with a photo of Halong Bay
- How a girl and a bet lead him to his first backpacking trip
- How he had to sink or swim as a traveller in Egypt
- Why solo travel is a form of controlled trauma
- The travel moment that changed his life forever
- Mindset shifts and personal transformation
- How he financed his world travels as a med school student
- How he overcame the “I don’t have time” barrier to travel
- The buffet analogy to life and travel
- The monsooning philosophy behind his travel style
- How his travel company grew organically through authenticity
- How to do group travel the right way to make lifelong friends
Where to find Calvin:
Follow Gary on IG: https://www.instagram.com/viajeroclub/
Join the Facebook Community : https://www.facebook.com/groups/407928276427355
If you enjoyed this episode, please don’t forget to hit Subscribe and leave us a review!
Give a rating and review here!